- Program Pathways
- Multiple locations in Oregon and SW Washington, OR, USA
- Varying upon position
JOB TITLE: Camp Staff- Varying Positions
- Unit Counselor
- Program Specialist
- Kitchen Aid
- Junior Counselor
- Junior Wrangler
LOCATION: Each position is available at the following locations:
- Camp Arrowhead, Stevenson, WA
- Camp Cleawox, Florence, OR
- Camp Whispering Winds, Philomath, OR
REPORTS TO: Camp Administrative Team
EQUITY STATEMENT: Girl Scouts has valued and supported all girls since our inception in 1912. The foundation of diversity that Juliette Gordon Low established runs throughout Girl Scouting to this day. Our mission extends to all girls, and through our program they develop the necessary leadership skills to advance diversity and promote inclusion. We wish for all girls to see themselves reflected in the organization they are a part of, and seek to model the values of diversity and inclusion we hope to instill in them. In order to achieve these goals, we are committed to creating and fostering racial and ethnic diversity at every level of the organization.
ABOUT US: Girl Scouts of Oregon and Southwest Washington serves more than 25,000 girl and adult members in Oregon and Clark and Skamania Counties in Washington. Our mission is to build girls of courage, confidence, and character, who make the world a better place. Through activities in science and technology, business and economic literacy, and outdoor and environmental awareness, Girl Scouting provides girls with opportunities for fun and friendship while fostering the development of leadership skills and self-esteem.
Check out our great benefits at girlscoutsosw.org/careers.
OUR CAMPS: Girl Scouts of Oregon and Southwest Washington operates three overnight camps. At all of our camps we offer programs for adults and girls to enjoy camp together as well as programs for girls to attend individually for girls entering 1nd through 12th grade. Please visit girlscoutsosw.org/camp to view our programs!
Camp staff are required to live on-site the duration of their work week with at least one full day off. Living conditions include rustic screen cabins, yurts and adirondacks. Modern amenities such as a staff house with Wi-Fi are available during breaks.
- Full time, seasonal position offering $350 per week with room and board.
- Plan and prepare nutritious meals for campers and staff. Provide varied and healthy vegetarian options reflective of the general main course for staff and campers who are vegetarians. Provide options for campers and staff with special dietary needs as necessary.
- Work with the assistant camp director in planning meals and menus.
- Prepare and serve meals as planned and on time.
- Prepare and serve meals that meet state health standards and Girl Scouts of Oregon and Southwest Washington health standards.
- Provide the assistant camp director with food order lists for meals in advance of order date.
- Check incoming food against orders and invoices. Return any damaged food or products immediately.
- Direct and assist with serving food and proper cooling and storing of leftovers.
- Direct and assist in maintaining the kitchen according to health, safety and sanitary standards.
- Assist the Assistant Camp Director with supervising the kitchen aides.
- Knowledge of kitchen procedures and experience in quantity cooking.
- Knowledge of dietary needs such as gluten free, lactose intolerant, and vegetarian.
- Experience in a supervisory role, running a kitchen, meal planning, and placing large food orders helpful.
UNIT COUNSELOR OVERVIEW:
- Full time, seasonal position offering $250 per week with room and board.
- Live in the unit with 8-24 campers and help each girl adjust and become used to other campers and camp life.
- Learn and help carry out health and safety regulations.
- Assist in guiding the individual campers to participate in group, unit and all-camp activities.
- Responsible for the health and safety of campers in the unit.
- Work closely with the unit team to provide program and other activities within the unit.
- Assist in guiding activities and experiences in the unit through girl planning.
PROGRAM SPECIALIST OVERVIEW:
- Multiple positions open including lifeguard, wrangler and arts and crafts specialist.
- Full time, seasonal position offering $250-300 per week (depending on certifications) with room and board.
- Assist in the training of staff during pre-camp in program activities.
- Set up, maintain, and close down program area for use during camp.
- Work with units to schedule program area time and activities.
- Development and provide quality program.
- Live in a unit with 8-24 campers and assist with unit activities when not scheduled in a program area/activity.
- Provide activities that support the accomplishment of program goals, including the earning of Girl Scout recognitions.
- Provide in-service training to all staff as requested.
- Order needed program supplies (within budget limitations) with the program coordinator.
- Inventory program equipment and recommend needed additions.
PROGRAM SPECIALIST QUALIFICATIONS:
- Certification or documented training and experience in one or more of the following: archery, lifeguarding, small craft safety (canoe, kayaks, rowboats), adventure challenge/leadership/belay, crafts, horses and/or nature with a willingness to gain skill in other areas.
KITCHEN AID OVERVIEW:
- Full time, seasonal position offering $225 per week with room and board.
- Assist in food preparation as directed by the cook.
- Assist in serving food.
- Keep equipment, kitchen and food storage areas clean.
- Meet all health, safety and sanitary regulations.
- Prepare items to be used on tables.
- Fill pack-out meal requisitions.
- Wash all dishes.
JUNIOR COUNSELOR/WRANGLER OVERVIEW:
- Full time, seasonal position offering $225 per week with room and board.
- Complete a daily support shift that consists of time in the kitchen, in the administration offices and at program areas.
- Complete all paperwork associated with work shifts, observations, practicum or other assigned tasks.
- At times live in the unit with 8-24 campers and help each camper adjust and become comfortable with other campers and camp life.
- Understand and help carry out health and safety regulations with the unit team.
- Assist in guiding the individual camper to participate in group, unit and all-camp activities.
- Working closely with the unit team, provide program and other activities within the unit.
JOB DUTIES OF ALL GSOSW CAMP STAFF:
- Provide activities that support the accomplishment of program goals, including earning Girl Scout recognitions.
- Keep permanent program supplies in good repair and consumable program supplies in good order.
- Participate in camp program activities.
- Use positive communication techniques as provided in pre-camp training.
- Participate weekly in all-camp cleaning.
- Participate in end of season all-camp cleaning.
- Encourage camper behavior that is consistent with the Girl Scout Promise and Law.
- Participate in the camp's risk management program.
- Work well under pressure, meeting multiple and sometimes competing deadlines.
- At all times, demonstrate cooperative behavior with colleagues and supervisors.
- Carry out other tasks as assigned.
REQUIREMENTS OF ALL GSOSW CAMP STAFF:
- At least 16 years of age for Kitchen Aides and Junior Counselor/Wranglers, and 18 years of age for all other positions.
- Ability to live on site June 11-August 28, 2017, with limited time off.
- Current first aid and CPR/AED for adult and children, or obtain prior to the start of camp.
- Food handler's permit as required by law, or obtain one prior to the start of camp.
- Able to work long hours in direct contact with children and adults.
- Successfully pass the GSOSW background check.
- Become a member of Girl Scouts of the USA.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS OF ALL GSOSW CAMP STAFF:
- Ability to lift and carry up to 35 pounds.
- Walking and standing up to 80% of time on flat or uneven terrain.
- Stooping, squatting and bending.
- Reaching overhead.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position is full time, seasonal employment June 11- August 28, 2017, exempt, with salary depending upon position. Position is open until filled.
Girl Scouts of Oregon and Southwest Washington is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage, value and honor diversity.
Sign Up For Job Alerts!
- Share this Page